Friday, July 10, 2009

The kids are still sleeping...

So I'm here with a quick recap of yesterday.

We spent the morning doing nothing much. I straightened and cleaned, the boys did their morning chores, the girl followed me around with her impish giggle.

I went to the dentist at noon, the Papa met us there and swapped vehicles with me. He took them out for lunch, and I had to get a filling fixed, apparently I broke a piece of tooth off eating almonds. Woops.

After that we came back home, it was time for Chickie to get a nap. Usually nap time is "my time", and I've almost always spent it turning on PBS or Noggin', or a DVD for Bug and Monkey since they no longer nap. Then I settle down with the internet and "escape" for a while. The boys asked if they could play outside, and I told them they sure could, just as soon as I had some lunch and once sissy was sleeping.

I sent them downstairs to play while I got her settled and got myself something to eat. It struck me then in the quiet that I've rarely used that little piece of time when my baby(babies) were sleeping during the day for anything other than myself.

I dug out a few of my favorite devotional books and my bible. Multi-tasking for sure, but after I finished eating, I took the boys outside with me to finish up while they played in the backyard. I started in Genesis, getting to know Eve using Women in the Bible , out of Proverbs using Your Daily Walk, and from Daily Wisdom for Mothers. Those 20 or 30 minutes of reading through a couple of devotionals and soaking up the Truth felt more relaxing and rejuvenating than I remembered it could be. It isn't a chore to check off my list. It's a joy to experience. I forget that.

After that, we went out front in the culdesac and Bug rode a two-wheeler for the first time. I was watching him *not* use his training wheels at all, so I asked if I could take one of them off to reassure him that he really could do it. He agreed, and minutes later astonished himself when he realized he COULD ride on two wheels. It was pretty sweet! What a moment, watching your child take off speeding away from you as fast as his little legs will take him. Conquering his fear and feeling free. I giggled and cheered, clapped and beamed. My kids are growing up so fast.

After about and hour outside, we came in and I offered to let them watch the movie we had rented the day before. Bug told me he would "really appreciate it" (ha!) if I would watch with them... and I had to pause. I *never* sit and watch movies with my kids. Ever. I get recommendations, I check them out, I may see a few minutes here and there, but actually sit and watch a full-length kid's movie? Nope.

I sat. I watched. We snuggled and cuddled. Ate popcorn and parmesan goldfish. The Tale of Despereaux encouraged my little boys to be gentlemen, courageous and noble. I loved it.

It was more than a great day. It was full of simple time and joy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful experiences Shanna! I'm looking forward to reading more of your time away.